8 Ways to Keep Your Skin Youthful and Healthy
By Ana Margarita Olar | Vigorbuddy.com
Our skin is a protective covering of our body. We need to keep it nourished and healthy. Here are some ways to keep your skin’s youthful glow:
- Watch what you eat-youthful and healthy skin starts from within.
Foods to avoid:
Sweet foods- you should limit your intake of simple carbohydrates such as candies, soft drinks, and pastries because these products convert quickly into sugar. When sugar breaks down and finds its way into the blood stream, it binds with protein molecules such elastin and collagen (these substances supports the skin). This process known as glycation will destroy collagen and elastin leading to wrinkles and sagging skin.
Foods to enjoy:
Dark chocolates- contain antioxidants.
Vitamin C rich foods- help strengthens collagen.
Cooked tomatoes, red peppers, and beets- all have antioxidant called lycopene that protects skin from sun damage.
Red meat- when taken in moderation, it keeps the skin healthy because it is loaded with protein and zinc which are needed by our body to produce collagen. Other protein-rich and collagen boosting foods include berries, soy, citrus fruits, nuts, and eggs.
Carrots and Sweet potatoes- loaded with Vitamin A that helps restore and regenerate damaged collagen.
Green Tea- has a high content of Catechin, an antioxidant that protects the skin against UV radiation, which helps prevent the growth of age spots. This antioxidant has an inflammatory property that helps delay the onset of wrinkles.
- Be hydrated all the time– drink plenty of water because it constantly evaporates from the skin. If you have not enough fluids, your skin will end up dry and saggy. So load up with water to keep your skin plump, elastic, and smooth.
- Protect your skin against the sun. UV exposure increases the risk of having a skin cancer and affects elastin in the skin leading to wrinkles and skin aging. So apply sunscreen, and wear protective clothing when you can’t avoid sun exposure.
- Keep your skin clean and moisturized
Wash your face in the morning to remove excess oil that has accumulated overnight. Also, wash your face before sleeping to remove makeup, dirt, oil, and bacteria that have accumulated. Neglecting to wash your face before going to bed will result to skin damage. Tips when cleaning your face includes:
- Use warm water and NOT hot water when cleansing the skin because warm water opens the pores for better cleansing but hot water will remove natural oils from the skin.
- Use only mild soap or cleanser for washing your face.
- After cleansing, pat dry your skin to lock in moisture.
- Also do not forget to apply moisturizer to keep the skin smooth and supple.
- Avoid vices: Smoking and Alcohol.
Smoking contains the deadly chemical, nicotine which speeds up degeneration of collagen and causes tiny blood vessels in the skin to tighten, which in turn limits the amount of oxygen and nutrients received by the skin cells. Alcohol, on the other hand, causes dehydration leaving your skin looking old and tired.
- Exercise– workouts increases the circulation of oxygen and nutrients which leads to a well-nourished skin. Also when we perspire, toxins that can damage our skin are released through sweat.
- Get enough sleep. A good quality of sleep relieves stress and gives your skin the time to regenerate and heal itself from damage that it gets through the day to day activities.
- Use natural based products for your skin. Or use naturally made products such as:
Olive oil- fights the oxidizing effect of the sun on our skin and protects the skin from harmful effects of pollutants.
Honey facial wash- has antioxidants, opens up the pores and moisturizes the skin.
Turmeric +rice flour +yogurt facial mask- help soften the skin, clear acne, reduce swelling, and diminish wrinkles.