8 Simple Tips to Keep Your Eyes Healthy
Ozzias T. Villaver, Ed. D. | VigorBuddy
The human eyes are very important senses like any part of the body. And so, these must be protected from any harm or loss of vision. Here are some simple tips to keep healthy eyes until the twilight time of one’s golden years.
- Wear Protective Eyewear. When engaging in certain activities in any place like at home or office; going outdoor for recreation and travel; sorting at department stores; touring at factories or tourist sceneries, hiking in the mountain, forest, walking at the seaside or beach; etc.; and, playing sports, wear protective eyewear. This will prevent somehow the defects in optical system which are called errors in refraction sight problem.
- Eat the Right Food for the Eyes. Carrots are good for the eyes, because it contains Vitamin A; thus, improving the vision considerably. Eating green leafy vegetables such as spinach, moringa (malunggay), kale, and also squash, corn, grapes, kiwi fruits, will keep the eyes healthy. Research has shown that there are eye-health benefits from eating fish high in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, tuna, and halibut.
- Quit Smoking or Never Start. Certainly, smoking produces health hazards. Three of the substances, carbon monoxide, “tar,” and nicotine, are the primary threats to health. According to verified statistics, a smoker faces a 70 percent greater risk of dying prematurely than non-smoker of comparable age. Research has linked smoking to an increased risk of developing age-related muscular degenerations, cataract, and optic nerve damage all of which can lead to blindness.
- Wear Sunglasses, When Necessary. One of the most important use of sunglasses is protecting your eyes from the direct ultraviolet rays of the sun. Hence when buying a pair of sunglasses, be sure to get one that would block out 99 to 100 percent of both UV-A and UV-B radiation.
- Read in A Comfortable and Well–lighted Place/Room. It is very necessary that when you read, your eyes should be relaxed and see clearly all the words without difficulty. Otherwise, the eyes will feel tiresome; and, if abused, the eyes get strain until they loss their good vision. Therefore, one has to take his/her position in a place where there is a good light for the eyes to see clearly without pressure or discomfort.
- Give Time for the Eyes to Rest. It is better to pause one’s eyes for a while and give them a This will help them reduce fatigue. Like a machine that has been stopped from being operated for a long period of time, so also the eyes need it. They need a rest and re-charging, to say. A 10-15 minutes may help the eyes to relax.
- Visit Your Eye Doctor Regularly. It is good to have your eyes be checked by your optometrist or ophthalmologist in a periodic schedule. You may need a pair of eyeglasses or contact lens to see better. This will certainly assure you of the condition of your eyes, hence, maintaining a good and healthy eyes. Another reason for seeing a doctor is Getting a comprehensive dilated eye examination by the ophthalmologist which is one and only way to be sure that your eyes are really fine and healthy. Many common eye diseases such as glaucoma, diabetic eye disease and eye-related muscular degeneration often have no warning signs. A dilated eye exam is the only way to detect these diseases in their early stages.
- Do not Stay Too Close to the Computer Screen. When using your computer, it is better that you get a distance from your computer. A one and half feet away from the computer would be a good and comfortable distance. This is to safeguard your optical system. The eyes may easily start you feel pain or blurred vision due to the radiation coming from the computer. And so, before switching on your computer, see to it that your chair is place in its proper distance and the protector screen of the computer is properly installed.
Take good care of your eyes always. They are the most vital parts of the body. They are made to admire the beauty of nature and see the world events every moment while they direct your path to righteousness. Remember, they are also the windows of your soul.