7 Reasons Why You Should Love Calamansi
Patricia Aleckzandra | Vigorbuddy
One of the few fruits that Filipinos could not miss in their everyday life is this green, asim-kilig fruit we always look forward in every occasion. It’s no other than, CALAMANSI.
Calamansi (or as we spell it KALAMANSI) is natively grown in the Philippines. It usually is green and will turn to yellow-orange as it matures in its tree. For a lot of people in the Philippines, calamansi is an essential fruit that should be included in our groceries. Experts have proven that calamansi has good effects on the human body. Here are some of the benefits we get from calamansi.
- Condiment for food recipes. Calamansi juice is a good condiment especially for marinating chicken, beef, or pork meat. It is also used by many Filipinos as a partner with soy sauce for fried or roasted meat – hence our toyomansi.
- Skin bleaching agent. As a nation obsessed for a fairer skin type, calamansi can be your best friend. If you have hyperpigmentation problems on your knees, elbows, armpits and even the circles around your eyes, cut calamansi into halves, rub it on your troubled areas, and leave it for about 5-10 minutes. This fruit, along with other citrus fruits, has a high content of Vitamin C which promotes a healthy skin glow with natural bleaching properties.
- Stain remover. Stains are one of the major problem every mother have. No matter how much we avoid having them, still there are circumstance that you just can’t. The juice of calamansi can be a good bleaching agent not only on the skin but on clothes. Add ½ cup of calamansi juice to your rinse cycle to brighten your whites.
- First aid for cough, colds and sore throat. Suffering from coughs and colds? Before rushing and hoarding all the medicines available in pharmacies or your medicine cabinet, try drinking warm calamansi juice first. Because it is full of Vitamin C, it helps strengthen the immune system, heals wounds, and produce more collagen in our bodies. You’ll have faster recovery. A little more tip. If you find the juice to sour for you to intake, try adding honey to it. It is better and healthier than sugar.
- A wonderful antioxidant. Aside from vitamin C, it has natural antioxidants that is good for anti-aging, hair growth, lowering of cholesterol, helps in digestion, and boost immune system.
- Aids in weight loss. Calamansi helps in bowel movement and has a power to eliminate stored fats. Not only that but everyday consumption of it can purify and detoxify the colon. It is refreshing, healthy and low-calorie. Take warm calamansi juice every morning and do not take anything for an hour. Do it daily and you’ll see better results.
- Banishes BO. In a tropical country like ours, sweating is one of our main problems. Sometimes it also results to body odors. Calamansi can be a good antiperspirant agent. It can also be a good underarm whitener.
These are just some of the benefits we will get from calamansi. Make it a everyday habit to include this wonder fruit on your everyday diet and you will surely love it!
Follow my other articles/blogs in Gogagah, FoodFindsAsia, and Pinoytrekker.